Friday, February 8, 2008

Boersma Like Online Gab

Just had a bath and the weather is beauutiful. David has rigged this so I can hit the keys with a dowel.. I thought I’d given you a status report .

This thing is called a.l.s.. It stands for amyotropic lateral sclerosis.. Sclerosis of course is hardening lateral refers to the side of the brain. So I’m getting hard headed . The other word has to be broken down. Trophic is medical jargon for change. Myo refers to muscle. The ‘a’ means not. So this is not a muscle disease primarily, but the result of changes in the sides of the brain. Now you know as much as I do.

I began a year ago mowing the lawn . I could make a couple of passes and have to stop . I checked my pulse and it was 150. . Five minutes of rest and I could mow some more. I thought I was getting old. By June I was having trouble stretching up to do eye exams in the office. One day Helen came to the office and saw my problem. ‘You are coming home’ she said. I have not been back.. At present I am bed confined . Cant turn over. . I had a feeding tube put in three weeks ago and helen is doing a great job keeping me well fed. I also had a tracheostomy hooked to a machine which breathes for me..

In 50 years as a medical practicer I never cared for anyone with this. Pretty rare. I have heard of persons going on for years, so feel free to write or come by anytime.

Prayer is the only treatment so talk to the Lord.
Frankly, medical science has no answers. I’d be glad to talk with you anytime about heaven.

Keep in touch,

Dale

8 comments:

BoersmasinMalawi said...

Hey Dad! Great to hear directly from you. I sent David some information on an eye-movement activated computer. Not sure how it works and sounds like you don't need it!
Just home from potluck. Jackson has a soccer game in the morning. Will send pictures!
Love you,
Mark

Lora said...

DR DALE-I AM GLAD TO HEAR YOUR VOICE! I have missed your comments and commentaries for sure! We are praying and will continue to do so. None of us no the number of days left for us-only the Lord. I take great comfort in that fact! Know that we both love you and Helen dearly and feel so blessed that you we call you Friend.

Cindy Boersma-Brouillard said...

Hi Uncle Dale! This is my first blog, but I'm trying to help Mom & Dad understand how it works. They just figured out email. Ha! Ha! I hear their visit with you and your family was nice. You and your family are always in our thoughts and prayers. Sorry to be brief, but I have a birthday party to go to and three little girls to get ready.
We love you!
Cindy :)

Deb said...

Isn't amazing how medical science has progressed and all the discoveries, but that is only the tip of the iceberg...there is so much yet to be learned. There might be a day when we look at the 21st century and think of our medicine the same way we now think about them drilling holes in skulls when people had headaches or using leaches...was that the middle ages? I have been reading about ALS and there are several theories, but nobody really knows.

I do know one thing about ALS...it is evil and I am praying against it. I know my whole family is praying and their churches are praying....and we are not going to stop.

Love, Debbie

Unknown said...

Hey, Dad. Great to hear from you. Someone at church today was telling me about some free software that you can download from the computer for augmentive devices. She did not have the web page at the moment, but will get it to me. It is worth looking into. Gotta go get ready for church. We prayed for you in my Sunday School class and they prayed for you from the pulpit this a.m. Prayer is definitely something that you are not lacking.

I love you!
Jo

BoersmasinMalawi said...

Hey doctor. Saw your blog and dad told me how to reply. I just wanted to say hi. How are you? I made cookies today with mom for valentines
Day. Tomorrow I will go horseback riding if it is not too wet. Yesterday Sunday we went to the lake.
We were on the rocks and saw a big lizard. The lizard we saw can bite and never ever let go. I miss your funny jokes and all your funny pranks. In fourth grade today we did a lot of grammar, 84 problems.
In science I am study about the ocean. I have a project due about temperature. I just started a book about a girl named Megan Maxwell. The book is called Terrible Wave. In math we are doing graphs. In both math and grammar I have a big unit test.

Unknown said...

Dr. Boersma - I just wanted to say hello, and let you know I'm thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. You know, one of my fondest memories as a child was having Santa Claus stop by my house one evening to 'chat'. That Santa was really you - but I didn't know that. You were the best Santa a little boy could ever have - and I've never forgotten it, never will either.
I've been away from Ruston a long time, but those wonderful years growing up - with the dear people there, will always be close to my heart. We were so lucky to have you as our Doctor, and better yet, to have you and your family as our friends.
I've enjoyed the blogs - and am glad that my folks passed this along for me to see.
God keep you in his hand, and your family too.
Love,
Jim Webb(in California)

Judy Nakari said...

Dale, its such a treat to hear from your hand, and from the hands of others, both family and friends of yours. Someone named Jim remembers you as Santa Claus; I can imagine you doing that and being very good at it. And Kelly Grace saw a big lizard, bet it was a gila monster. We have them here, too, people go to ER with the lizard attached to their hand. Never pet a gila monster! Joanna's church prayed for you, well ours did too and continue to. We all are constant in our prayers for you and in our faith and in our love for you and Helen.